Tired of your current video conferencing app?
Engage and interact in a fun virtual space with Remo - Get started for free.
Before you begin, please test your microphone and camera here. This will allow you to diagnose if there is a problem and where it is!
- Solution 1: Change your Video Quality Settings
- Solution 2: Try refreshing your browser
- Solution 3: Check to make sure you are using a compatible device and browser.
- Solution 4: Switch Tables
- Solution 5: Confirm the Microphone/ Camera settings for your browser
- Solution 6: Confirm Camera and Audio Inputs and Outputs on Remo
- Solution 7: Log out and Log back in
- Solution 8: Try a Private Browser
- Solution 9: Disable your VPN
- Solution 10: Disable Anti-Virus Software
- Solution 11: Plug out and Plug in your Microphone/ Camera
- Solution 12: Shut down all other applications that may be using/ used your device's camera and/or microphone
- Solution 13: Allow your browser to access your computer's Microphone and Camera
- Solution 14: Check for Audio Inputs and Outputs on your Device
- Solution 15: Switch Browsers and Computers
- Solution 16: Restart your Computer
Solution 1: Change your Video Quality Settings
Click the arrow next to the Cam icon in your bottom menu toolbar and select 'Camera Settings'. Please select 'Low' under the video quality dropdown and click 'Save Changes'.
Solution 2: Try refreshing your browser
- Soft Refresh: CMD + R
- Hard Refresh: CMD + SHIFT + R
Solution 3: Check to make sure you are using a compatible device and browser.
Check for the list of compatible devices and browsers here
Solution 4: Switch Tables
Try moving to another table, and then back to your original table. Remember to move tables just double-click on the table you'd like to move to.
Solution 5: Confirm the Microphone/ Camera settings for your browser
If you can see a red cross next to the Microphone and Camera button on your bottom menu toolbar, this usually suggests browser-related permission issues, so please try out the below steps first.
How to Allow Chrome Access to my Camera and Microphone
How to Allow Safari Access to my Camera and Microphone
How to Allow Microsoft Edge Access to my Camera and Microphone
Solution 6: Confirm Camera and Audio Inputs and Outputs on Remo
If your computer has multiple cameras or you have multiple audio devices, Remo may have selected a different audio input or output by default. Thus, you now need to pick the right one to work with Remo
1. Click the menu icon (3 parallel horizontal lines) in the upper left corner of your screen -or- click the triangle next to the camera and microphone icons in the bottom menu toolbar
2. Select the desired Audio Input and Output from the dropdown menu under Microphone
3. Select the desired Webcam Source from the dropdown menu under Camera
Solution 7: Log out and Log back in
Try logging out of the event space and logging back in.
Solution 8: Try a Private Browser
Depending on your browser, try using a Private Browser (may also be called Incognito) or Guest Mode
1. Incognito/ Private Window on Chrome and Safari: Click 'File', and then 'New Incognito/Private Window'
2. Guest Mode on Chrome: Click your Profile Picture in the upper right corner of your screen, and then click 'Guest'
Solution 9: Disable your VPN
If you are currently using a VPN, please disable that, and try logging back into the Remo Event Space. We have seen some issues where a VPN has interfered with the ability to use the device's camera and microphone properly.
If you must use a VPN, then please check out this article for further guidance.
Solution 10: Disable Anti-Virus Software
If none of the methods above work, check if there is antivirus software enabled, if there is, temporarily disable it and then refresh the page to see if the camera or microphone is working when the antivirus software is disabled
Solution 11: Plug out and Plug in your Microphone/ Camera
If you are using an external webcam or microphone, please try to unplug this from your computer first. And then try plugging it back in, and refreshing your page.
Solution 12: Shut down all other applications that may be using/ used your device's camera and/or microphone
If you have recently been using your camera and/or microphone on other applications such as Google Hangouts, Zoom, Skype e.t.c., please make sure to properly shut down these other applications as they may be retaining control of your device's camera and microphone.
Solution 13: Allow your browser to access your computer's Microphone and Camera
For MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) or above users:
In MacOS Mojave, Apple has introduced some system-level privacy controls for your mic and camera. These are great for privacy, but it is possible that your browser was mistakenly blocked from accessing your mic and cam. You can check on this and allow your browser to access your mic and cam from the Security & Privacy section in your System Preferences.
1. Open up System Preferences
2. Click on the 'Security & Privacy' section
3. Select the 'Privacy' tab
4. Click on 'Camera' from the list of options, and tick the box next to the browser you are using to allow access (make sure this is a Remo supported browser)
5. Repeat step 4 for your 'Microphone'
6. After doing this, restart your browser for the updates to take affect
For MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and earlier users:
If you use an older version of MacOS, there are no system level controls for your camera, and instead MacOS will default to the settings on the application level. However if your mic selection isn't sticking, there is a system level control for your mic. Here's how you can adjust this:
1. Open up System Preferences
2. Click on 'Sound' and then select the Input tab
3. This area will list all input devices that are available, select the device you would like to use for Input
Solution 14: Check for Audio Inputs and Outputs on your Device
You also need to check that the right audio inputs and outputs are selected in the settings, here's how you can check this:
1. Open up System Preferences
2. Click on 'Sound'
3. Click on the Output tab and select the desired output option from the list
4. Click on Input tab and select the Input you want from the list
You can also check if the input is working by checking the input level as you talk. If the bars are moving then your microphone is working!
Solution 15: Switch Browsers and Computers
Try switching to another supported browser.
If you are currently on a work laptop, please try switching to a personal device instead, as company firewalls may be interfering with the ability to use your camera and microphone.
If it is necessary to use your work laptop, please take a look through these guidelines first (you may have to consult with your IT team to work through the steps).
Solution 16: Restart your Computer
If all other options thus far have not worked, please try to shut down your computer and restart it once again.
If your camera or microphone is still not working, please contact us on Chat by clicking the 'Need Help' button in the lower-left corner of your screen